Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Lake Powell trip gone Horribly bad!

I have these two friends. I love them with everything I have, they mean the world to me. Below is a random picture that I took last night after we went out for sushi. We were celebrating our friendship :) You will know why after I tell you this story. Below that is a picture of a tube. I will never as long as I live set foot on one of these as I experienced a horrible accident at Lake Powell on Monday, June 23rd.




Jessie, Abbey and Megs. 3 Peas in a Pod!

Not a good idea!

I just wanted to say that I am lucky to have Megan Burger with me today. We went down to Lake Powell immediatly following my Wasatch Back relay race. I was excited to unwind and enjoy the rays. Lake Powell is my favorite place on earth. We arrived Sunday afternoon and I was so excited I could barely contain myself. It had been years since I experienced the whole house boat thing. Monday morning we decided to go out and tube because it was not good wake boarding water. We had a blast! We worked our way over to Swim rock. This is an incredible site. I was amazed by the beauty. We had a chance to play in the water for about an hour and laugh our butts off. On the way back to the houseboat, Megan and I decided we were going to just sit on the tube and get a ride. We didn't want to go all crazy! As we approached the houseboat, Megan mentioned that she was tired of holding on to the tube. I told her that we were almost there. As we got closer to the houseboat, they decided to take one more circle around the bay. I told Megan to hold on....well we hit a wave. Megan came off of the tube and landed back on the tube hitting her nose and giving her a good hard hit. She looked up at me and said, "I'm ok!" I said are you sure? I than saw that her nose was bleeding. I motioned for the boat to pull us in...I than looked up and saw something that I will never forget in my lfe. Megan's eyes rolled back in her had and she passed out falling into the water. I screamed! I jumped in to grab her and pulled her towards the boat. I begin wiping the blood off of her face. I had never seen my Megs in this condition. We got her on the boat and hauled her to the dock. She was not really responding. We gave her a priesthood blessing and I was so grateful to have that available. Megan was still not responding. Jessie and I kept telling her to keep her eyes open. We got her to the doctor and they put oxygen on her face. She started breathing really fast and screaming. I could not watch it, I walked out of the room and went outside to wait and sat with Jess while we just sobbed. We couldn't believe this happened to Megs. The doctor came out and told us that Megan was ok and she wanted to see us. We went in and she again started breathing out of control and screaming. I knew she was not ok. I had so much anxiety! To make the long story short, Megan was ok. We ended up cutting our Lake Powell trip short and left that night. She didn't have anything wrong with her and I know it was because of the priesthood blessing she recieved. The doctor told us she was very lucky! I love Megan and Jessie and I am so grateful to have them both in my life! It brought us together and I will always know that they will be for me if I needed them in a time a need.

Please think twice before you take a tube ride. The smallest wave can knock you out. Better luck next time! I am just grateful to have my friend!

8 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my gosh! That is so sad, I know how excited you were for this trip. I'm glad Megan is okay :)

Brad and Jade said...

That is so scary. Give megs a hug and kiss for me. I miss all of you guys so much. I'm grateful that I have all you guys in my life. Some of my best memories are when I was with all of you. Love you Abs!

Heather said...

oh wow!! i'm so glad everything is ok. i agree those tubes are bad news! give megan a big kiss for me!

Emily said...

How scary abbey. good thing you were there to help her. I'm glad she's okay.

SandGs Mom said...

Sorry things on your trip weren't as planned. I am glad however that you were at the gym today so we could sit and visit!

Amy said...

Oh my gosh I am glad Megan is ok! Love ya!

CoLiE-O said...

holy crap. that is so scarey!!!! i hate water weenies and tubes just for that fact. so many people lose their teeth, break their noses and so much more. i am glad to hear she is doing ok now. but wow. thats so scarey!

Jason and Heidi said...

I bet that was crazu scary!! I am so glad she's ok!

Powered by Blogger.