Friday, March 28, 2008

CYCLE SUMMIT MINNESOTA

Hey all! I told you I would update once I got back and I just have not had the time. Plus I have not recieved my pictures from the trip. I will get my pictures this week and post them asap! I thought I would still write a blog and let everyone know how things panned out!

This oppertunity was one of the best experiences of my life! I have never learned so much from others in my life. I met some pretty incredible mentors. We first arrived and I new that I was in for a very long two days. Kaycee who was my roommate never ceased to keep me entertained. LITERALLY! I don't think I have ever laughed that hard and that much in my life. I absolutely have to thank her for my entertainment for the two days we spent in Minnesota. When we got there we were greeted by our van members. Kaycee would be driving the van which again...I was not sure what to think of this idea. ;) Daina and Tara from Texas Life Time was waiting for us at the baggage terminal. They were so dang cute! We also met two other girls and they were sweet as well...except these two did not understand our Utah sense of humor. We experienced a few awkward silences and than I would just start laughing my guts out with Kaycee because at least we thought we were really funny. We were so tired by the time we got to our hotel room after dinner that we went and purchased about six laffy taffy's, a bag of licorice and chilled out on our bed. We also watched and made fun of the first episode of the Bachelor. I again almost peed from laughing...Kaycee you kill me! We did not sleep the first night..we should have because we both had no idea what was in store for us the next morning.

Tuesday we woke up really early, put our cycle clothes on and headed down to Eden Prairie Life Time in the VAN. We walked into the cycle room to be greeted by Kimberly Spreen who is the national group fitness director for Life Time. 65 nervous instructor attendees from across the company occupied most of the bikes. I started feeling overwhelmed with excitement! Sitting on the instructor bike was Bahram the CEO himself. Now I have never met a nicer person. He was so warm and inviting and I was very impressed. I was not sure what to expect from our CEO and I was quickly reminded at why I work for this company. There were two bikes waiting for Kaycee and I smack dab in the front of the room. We were trying to make a bee line for the back row....Kimberley told us to take the two bikes in the front instead..YIKES! So for two hours we cycled in the hardest class of our lives! We could not even cry for mercy. It was a two hour z4, anaerobic threshold, sugar burning fest of a class. It was cool that Bahram him self taught this class...he is hilarious. I just kept glancing over at Kaycee and she would glance back and we both acknowledged the fact that this was never going to end. A few words were exchanged...if you know what I mean. The class finally ended and we headed back to the hotel to get changed out of our sweat drenched clothes so we could enjoy our first catered sushi for lunch and our first brainstorming session.

It was awesome to rub shoulders with Rob Glick who is on the Nautilus Board. He presents at Idea every year. He also works with Life Time. He was there the whole weekend and I felt like I was amongst some industry celebs...which in your case wouldn't mean anything. I on the other hand felt as if I was hanging out with Brad Pit. Rob Glick is big time. Now I wont ramble forever but I met some great people and life long friends.

We spent two days cycling, eating sushi, brainstorming and laughing. I had something pretty incredible happen to me that I will elaborate on for the last paragraph of my blog. So, we were wrapping up the last brainstorming session and Bahram (ceo) single handedly picked me from the group and asked me to come up to the front of the room. He then goes on to ask me questions about myself. In the end of this little moment with my CEO, I walked out of there 1 of 5 people that will be on the board of directors for the cycle club throughout the company nationwide! I wanted to pinch myself, I did not believe this was happening. I glanced over and saw Kaycee, she was clapping for me and smiling so big! I in the moment was humbled by everything and I knew that I could not take this moment for granted. Now I have a big responsibility and I feel like I am actually moving upward with my passions. All my hard work is starting to pay off and I could not be more excited!

So, it was awesome! I met amazing people, laughed till no laughing came out and ate sushi until I could not eat anymore. I love my job and I love the fact that I can live within my passions. I have so much more to learn. I love it!

9 comments:

Tebbs Times said...

Abs, it is about time you gave us all an update:) It sounds like a great time...you are perfect for the job!! Congrats to you and your hard work!! You are the bomb!! Love ya!

Emily said...

Wow sounds like an amazing experience. Congrats, you'll be amazing!!

Jamie said...

hi abbey, i am kristin (stowers) daniels cousin and i just ran across your blog on hers. i love your layout! could you possibly tell me how you did it?! if it is too time-consuming, it's ok. i just love it, it has such a fresh look! my e-mail address is jamiedslade@gmail.com (my blog is private, so i would need your e-mail address to invite you to read it). anyways...if you have time, could you drop me a line?! thanks! -jamie slade

Trish said...

Abs - congrats! That is so awesome...you so deserve that! Love ya!

Stark Family said...

Saw your blog on Brooke Franco's. Thought I'd just say hi. It sounds like you've done a lot of traveling, I'm jealous! Good luck with your running this year.-Tyler Stark

Jason and Heidi said...

Abbey, you have no idea how happy I am for you!! Congratulations on everything!! Love you forever and keep doing what you love!!

Brooke Franco said...

Abbey I am so excited for you! What an amazing experience! I love it when things you have worked so hard for pay off! Good job!!!

Katie said...

Congrats Abby! You deserve it! I didn't realize that you love sushi, so I think we need to go get some together asap!!

Unknown said...

talk about rad training! Congrats! I'm jealous! It's so great to see what you're up to. I wish we were teaching/p.training together so we could see each other more than we do. haha! I love you Abs!
xoxo

Powered by Blogger.