Sunday, January 13, 2008

Grandma Daw loves her Layers!!


Ok so I had to blog on my experience of visiting my Grandma Daw at her new condo in the Altziemers home. I was kinda feeling nervous and un easy about going over there for the first time to pay her a visit. I was not sure what to expect. I was not sure how I would feel about seeing my Grandma in this living situation. Amelia called me up and told me to meet her over there after work tonight. I decided I would go because after all I did make a new years resolution to never take my Grandma for granted. I am going to pay as many visits as I can to her this year. When I walked into this home I was expecting to be bathed in that old folks smell that I remember when I was little visiting the Draper rest home. Elderly with slobber all over their faces accompanied by the dark atmosphere and old stinky furniture. I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet smell of lit candles and pumpkin spice. The dining room was beautiful and the place was very clean. I was immediatly impressed and felt more at ease. I was welcomed by a elderly old man who I assumed was a patient. I knew just by the look he had on his face. Confusion! He was sitting on a couch half asleep as his eyes dropped in exhaustion. I decided that I was going to make a difference in this old mans life even if he wouldn't remember me after five minutes. I could tell he needed some kind of boost. I smiled and he smiled back at me immediatly. I swear there was a twinkle in his eye and he was grateful. I than walked into the other wing and was welcomed by another patient. Her name was Bonnie. Amelia told me that she was really funny, I asked this cute old crazy woman her name. First of all she was holding some kinda baby and I was immediatly worried. Her first words to me, "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE NICE, I AM SICK OF THESE PEOPLE TAKING MY JAW AND HOLDING IT. THEY THREW IT AND I LANDED BY THE WALL. I AM GETTING REALLY ANGRY!" I was like.."Uh, well Hi Bonnie..we haven't had a chance to meet.. but Hi" I started laughing because it was very funny and I knew that immediatly she was not taking this in a positive way. I was kinda scared so I told Amelia to hurry and find our Grandmas room. I had to get outta there, I swear Bonnie was about to chase me downt the hall. The doll she was toting around looked like a doll you would see in a horror movie. The hair pulled out of the head with only a few strands remaining. Also freaky eyes with those ugly long fake doll lashes. Bonnie was rocking it and singing to it and I was not about to be chased by her and especially with that doll in her arms. It was literally worse than a Chucky doll. My Grandma's suite was number 150. I knocked and walked in and immediatly smiled. My sweet Grandma was wearing the funniest outfit I have ever seen. A red straw hat that she stole from another patient. Pink pajama bottoms with a black and white church skirt layered over the top. My Grandma is totally into the layering look. Everytime I see her she has added like 5 extra layers from the time before. She was wearing like six shirts, two of them sweaters and to top it all off a dress coat she stole from probably Bonnie. I asked her if she was hot..but she wasn't. I have no idea how she was not sweating! Her room is definetly the party room. All of her new friends mingle in her room. Cliff (her new boyfriend), Bonnie, Cleo..ect.
Our family has made sure that her condo is almost exactly like the home she left in Murray. Pictures hung neatly on the wall, furniture and other gadgets that will remind her of the life she used to remember before now. Also, pictures of my Grandpa. The best man in the world. He passed away a month ago today.
Every once in a while throughout my time spent there tonight another surprise patient would drop by and visit. The trend of carrying freaky dolls continued, my Grandma having one as well. Although, it was not as scary as Bonnies. I also noticed most of them wore Crocs. They all had there names written in magic marker so they could tell them all apart. I think there must be a stealing problem. The nurses need to mark them so they can be returned if another patient is found wearing someone elses Crocs. I think I am going to go purchase my Grandma some tomorrow so she is not left out of this trend. I can't wait to write Bev Daw on her new Crocs. She will have the best ones.
When I was helping my Grandma get ready for bed before I left, she wanted to show me a purse she had in her closet. I asked her what was in the purse. She said, "Alot of things!" I told her to open it and show me what was inside. Well to my surprise stuffed in a wad was a blue sweater from her closet. I guess you never know when you may need a blue sweater from your purse. Atleast that is what my Grandma must think. :)
I realized as I spent time with her tonight that these are the moments I know that my Grandma will be thankful for after she passes away. She will realize how much our family loved her and took care of her while she had to struggle with this disease. My Grandma wont know me as her Grand daughter for the rest of her life here on earth but I want her to at least see a familiar face every single day. One day she will look down on me and remember the time I spent hanging out with her and her crazy friends. I want my Grandpa to be proud of me as he looks down and watches over his wife. I am gaining so much humility from her experience.
I do have to add that I did get her nose. I reminded her again tonight that I had her nose...which is why I am getting a nose job in April. :)
I will continue to blog about the many wonderful experiences I share with her as I visit her on a weekly basis. I am so lucky to have her in my life. In the meantime....don't take for granted the health that you do have, you never know when you wont have it anymore. You never know when one day you will carry a doll around that looks like your worst nightmare and call it your child.

6 comments:

Palmer Family said...

I want to go next time you go. Call me.

Brittany said...

What a great resolution to make, you are such a sweet person. I can't wait to hear more stories of your visits to see her.

Trish said...

You are such a sweet granddaughter! xoxo

Katie said...

I am totally going with you next time!

Jamie said...

Oh Abbey, I LOVE you SOOOOO MUCH! You are the sweetest, funnest, funniest, cutest girl I have ever met! I love reading your blog, because first of all, you always make me wish I was hanging out with you, and second of all, you have the most AMAZING attitude! I love your cute Grandma Bev, and can't wait for the next story of when you visit her and crazy Bonnie!
Abbey-remember when you brought me those cute pajamas after I had heart surgery? I wished I lived closer so I could bring you cute PJs after you have nose surgery!!!

Jamie said...

Abbey, will you tell Katie to invite me to her blog: jamielwebster@gmail.com
Thanks Jame

Powered by Blogger.